Above most things, I am a writer. My written work has been published in everything from the Point Park University Globe to press releases for the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America. Below is a listing of my work sorted by publication. Click to expand.
Sample of Clips:
City of Pittsburgh celebrates bicentennial (Point Park Globe, Spring 2016)
– A story on deadline giving a relatively comprehensive overview of the city’s celebration of its bicentennial. Interviews included a city councilman and the chairman of the committee.
An idea with legs: Pittsburgh pair work to open ‘cat cafe’ (upgruv, Summer 2016)
– In a story written for upgruv, I profiled a duo who were working to start their own cat cafe business. This story was first profiled and published by us, with other local outlets following shortly after.
Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders shares platform at rally with Pittsburghers, students (Point Park Globe, Spring 2016)
– Credentialed press for the first presidential candidate to visit Pittsburgh from the 2016 election cycle. First presidential campaign coverage in the 2016 election cycle by the Globe.
What’s behind Carnegie Museum’s magical ‘Mystery’ door? (upgruv, Summer 2016)
– Multimedia piece for upgruv in which I collaborated with Sydney Bauer to create an audiovisual piece to accompany a written overview of the Carnegie Museums’ “Section of Mystery”
SAEM students manage high school artists for WYEP “Reimagination” compilation CD (Point Park Globe, Spring 2016)
– Profile on the public radio station’s teaming up with the Point Park SAEM program. Interviews conducted on site and included Greg Joseph of the Clarks and program director Matthew Spangler.
City to celebrate its bicentennial with events throughout the year (Point Park Globe, Fall 2016)
– Preview piece on Pittsburgh’s bicentennial. Interviews included the mayor’s office and the president of the Heinz History Center
Clips for 260
**Please Disregard – this work was done and largely not published for a class **
Inconsistencies exist between schools’ methods of distributing endowed scholarships
– Longform story about endowed scholarships at Point Park University. It’s a work in progress still.
Colten Gill: CAB Leader, motocross champion and National Guardsman
– Profile on Campus Leader Colten Gill and his life and what it’s like to work under him. With particular emphasis on the twists his life has taken, this piece delves into Gill’s varied life.
WPPJ to mark 36th annual Rock-a-Thon
– Feature story on the 36th annual WPPJ Rock-a-Thon. Published by the Point Park University Globe as “WPPJ’s Rock-a-Thon returns for its 36th year.”
Man faces 68+ years for pawning electronics and using a stolen credit card to purchase Hawaiian punch
– Crime story written using an affidavit of probable cause on a case from 2015 in which a man stole laptops, foreign coins and used a stolen credit card to purchase Hawaiian punch at a Rite Aid.
Point Park University Opens Media Innovation Center with Legacy Media Panel
– Profile giving an overview a morning panel opening the Center for Media Innovation
The Point Park University Globe
The work I do for the Point Park Globe is all original reporting usually completed on tighter deadlines. For some stories I shoot my own photography and videography, but the primary point is getting the story right for our readership.
Staff profile with full list of photographic and journalistic contributions
Positions Held: Assistant News Editor (Fall 2015), News Editor (Spring 2016), Editor-Elect (Feb. 2016 – Present)
WPPJ’s Rock-a-Thon returns for its 36th year
Local journalists share experiences from campaign trail
Point Park Police don body cams
Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders shares platform at rally with Pittsburghers, students
City of Pittsburgh celebrates bicentennial
University Center screens new documentary film from Sebak
SAEM students manage high school artists for WYEP “Reimagination” compilation CD
University adopts the national trend of test-optional admissions for incoming students with hopes of broadening applicant admissions
University unveils new digital signage
A lot of the work I did with upgruv was aggregate work – reposting AP wire stories and the like. These stories, however, were entirely written and sourced by me:
What’s behind Carnegie Museum’s magical ‘Mystery’ door?
An idea with legs: Pittsburgh pair work to open ‘cat cafe’
Behind the lens of the Stanley Cup celebration
Carnegie citizens line streets to greet veterans
Cones and Oms a delicious combo
Breaking down Port Authority changes
UOC of USA Press Releases
These are articles I wrote for the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the United States of America. These were reflection pieces – meaning they’re not exactly journalistic work.
Archpastoral Visit of His Grace Bishop Daniel to Slickville, Pa! (2016)
Archpastoral Visit to Slickville, Pa! (2013)