Alexander Popichak is a journalist and producer based in Erie, Pa. He is currently employed with Lilly Broadcasting at WICU-TV as a producer. His journalistic work has been published by 90.5 WESA - Pittsburgh's NPR News Station, the Pittsburgh City Paper, 535media's upgruv, the Point Park University Globe, WPPJ 670-AM and Point Park's U-View Television. Production credits include production, organization and direction of the Point ______ Live! television event, direction of WPPJ's 2016 and 2018 Election Night coverage, the Globe's Pioneer Public video series, Point Park's Pioneer Spotlight series and Chairshot Reality.
Graduation Date: December 14, 2018
Graduation Date: June 12, 2015 Class Rank: 10/92 GPA: 4.0
Produces dayside broadcasts with WICU/WSEE based in Erie, PA. Responsibilities include show stacking, preparing video and scripts for air.
Oversaw day-to-day operation of a student radio station based in Pittsburgh.
Worked on all aspects of digital strategy, editorial, design and week-to-week reporting.
Managed and maintained studio facilities for use by various internal and external television and cinema productions.
Managed staff as head administrator, coordinated publication and layout, and wrote pieces
Highlights: coordinated 2017 Inauguration Coverage, planned and executed 50th Anniversary Edition and Celebration
Print circulation: 1,000 Online Reach: 400 Weekly Previous positions: Editor-Elect, News Editor Click here for my full Globe Profile
Crafted and presented long-form enterprise segments, produced, wrote and directed live-to-tape news show. Created show with Robert Bertha. Click here for a sample reel of NewsNight.
Pitched, wrote and produced content for 90.5 WESA. Duties included conducting interviews, recording spots and pitching features.
Project Highlight: From Highways To Runways: In Search Of The Noisiest Spot In Pittsburgh For WESA's Good Question Series, I wrote and produced this feature in search of the noisiest spot in Pittsburgh. This is the resulting package:
Oversaw execution of live sketch comedy show March 25, 2018.
Developed on-air news updates and features for Point Park's student-run radio station, WPPJ.
Directed live-to-tape weekly feature program for Point Park's Athletics department. Worked alongside host Josh Croup to produce weekly web feature. Guests were athletes and coaches from around the Point Park athletic world.
Supervised staff, critiqued layout and wrote pieces
Pitched, edited, wrote, and created layout of weekly newspaper’s news section
Planned and executed community-centric events and programming, mediated roommate conflicts, managed programming deadlines and managed crises as needed.
Served as a representative for School of Communication, served on communication committee and planned 2016 Pioneer Community Day service event, placing 70+ volunteers across the Greater Pittsburgh Area to donate 4+ hours of service
- 2018 Region 4 Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Mark of Excellence winner for Breaking News Reporting and finalist for Breaking News Reporting and Editorial Writing
- 2017 Region 4 SPJ Mark of Excellence finalist for Photography
- Winner, 2017 Intercollegiate Broadcast Service “Best Celebrity interview” award for interview with Sarah Koenig
- Winner, 2019 Marcela C. McGrogan Volunteer Award to Community Members
- Winner, 2017 U-View Television Dale Award for Best Overall Production for NewsNight
- Point Park University Presidential Scholarship
- Dean’s List
- Eagle Scout, Troop 831 in Carnegie, PA (November 14, 2014)
- Society of Professional Journalists
- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- Broadcast Education Association
- National Eagle Scout Association Life Member